Optimization Opportunities with ‘Clickable Actions’
Actionable Advisories alerts users via emails of possible optimization opportunities and more importantly allow them to take immediate actions to execute on those recommendations. This option provides full control to the customers and provides semi-automated actions with all the added value of Dynamic resource optimization. Advisories will be in the form of daily emails, with clickable links to optimization actions.
Customizable – disable/enable advisory types, or advisories on specific resources
Actionable – Recommend appropriate, meaningful actions that are clickable and automated
Low noise – by being meaningful and specific
Specific – about why an advisory is reported
Broad analysis – of all wasted, unused resources with details (Tags, etc.)
Email alerts – periodic (once a day) or generated on demand
- EC2 scheduling based on machine learning
- EC2 instance switching based on machine learning
- EBS IOPS provisioning based on machine learning
- Rogue Instances or Inactive EC2 Instances
- EC2 Reserved Instance recommendations
- EC2 Instances underutilized
- EBS Cross Type Optimization (IO1 to GP2, GP2 to SC1/ST1)
- Unattached EBS volumes
- EBS Volume snapshots which are older than specified time
- S3 Buckets with no expiration dates
- DynamoDB tables over-provisioned
- Unused Elastic IP Addresses
Customizable: Advisories can now be customized by specifying various metrics used to identify advisories. Eg. Max read/write capacity to be used to determine DynamoDB over-provisioned advisories. Age of snapshots in days to identify old snapshots, High/low CPU utilization to be used to determine underutilized EC2 instances etc.
Applications level categorization: Customers can now define ‘Applications’ based on tags and get advisory reports based on applications across multiple AWS accounts allowing customers to manage and optimize costs at Applications level.
Account level categorization: For customers with multiple accounts, Advisories are automatically categorized under each account for easier management.
Filters: For easier management, advisories can be filtered based on advisory types, Accounts, or products. Advisories can also be searched based on any keywords or tags used on resources.
Ignore Advisories: In scenarios where a user decides to keep a resource over-provisioned future advisories can be marked to be ignored so that no further advisories are generated.
Advisory of the week
Over provisioned DynamoDB Tables
Like most of AWS services, customers are required to provision read/write capacities they expect to utilize when provisioning DynamoDB resources. AWS charges customers based on the capacities provisioned. Often customers over provision read/write capacities, resulting in wasted spending. This advisory analyzes read/write capacity utilization of DynamoDB tables and alerts customers on over provisioned tables. Alerts are sent via emails with clickable actions and are also accessible from the Web GUI. Available actions for this advisory are 1) Adjust capacity to x 2) Ignore. On selecting ‘Adjust capacity’ and executing the action will adjust the provisioning the optimum level, reducing cost.
This advisory can be customized to specify the following parameters:
- Provisioned Reads (Report only if the provisioned capacity is above the specified value)
- Provisioned Writes (Report only if the provisioned capacity is above the specified value)
- Days to Check: Number of days worth of data that should be analyzed to make a recommendation